Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Big Embrace

Let's face it, ladies.  Our bodies aren't the same bodies after we put them through the rigors of pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding.  We're a little wider.  A little looser.  A little more womanly.  So why then, pray tell, do I hold on to my pre-pregnancy, NAY! pre-WEDDING clothing?

But it' not just that I keep them. 

Why do I try to WEAR these things?  Oh, it brings me much shame to admit this to you, dear reader.  There is a part of my brain that thinks if I try to wear that size zero skirt that I got on clearance at a Banana Republic with Kim that winter we went to Florida that I will be a size zero. 

But we all know (pity me) that this just isn't so.

I am a different woman.  I am more woman.  And it's bittersweet to say goodbye to memories (that is what my clothes are to me!) but wise to embrace the new. So to my closet I march, to fill a garbage bag with too old, too small, too warn and too faded clothing.  Never to be worn by this lady again.  So long to that silk top from J. Crew that I wore to a luau in Hawaii and a Dave Matthews Band concert the summer after I graduated High School. Farewell.

Auf wiedersehen.

Adieu.

Adieu, Adeu.  To yieu, and yieu, and yieu. 




Next Time:  The Adventures of Mom Hair

6 comments:

Stacy said...

I did it too. The horror! I actually had to keep some stuff though. For memory's sake. I know I have pictures of me wearing particular clothing, but I just can't let it go. I promise that I don't wear them. :)

Kaylynn said...

I don't think I was ever a size zero--what are you now a 2?

L Chang said...

You are strong! I need to do the same and make some serious lifestyle changes (eating healthier and excercise)! It's tough, but that's part of the mom gig, yeah?

Violadiva said...

Ahh, in addition to the dilemmas of the lower half, do you, like me, have a hard time buttoning up that 3rd to the top button in pre-pregnancy blouses? That's someplace I thought would NEVER change....sheesh

lisa said...

If it makes you feel any better, some of us never were a 0 (well, maybe in 6th grade!) Man, if I were you I'd hold onto that skirt like a trophy!

Ja'dore By Design said...

LOVE the BLOG! Follow me back!