Thursday, June 25, 2009

Diet Coke and Mel Mel

I must have been in Junior High when my mom became a Diet Coke addict. Since then, the brew has held an important place in our family, and will no doubt gain it's own twig in the family tree.

One night when we were out to dinner my brother Chris declared, "I'm concerned about the stranglehold that Diet Coke has on this family." It was true. My mom was known to hole up in her bedroom with a bag of microwave popcorn and a two-liter and watch marathons of Law and Order. This may still occur today, but since I am no longer living at home, I can't prove it.

Several weeks ago, my mom came through my front door, sweaty and hot. "I just walked TWO MILES to your house," she said, "because I am turning over a new leaf." I was impressed. "Now I need a big drink." Thinking she meant water, I got down a glass for her, but she went straight to the fridge, opened it up and pulled out a Diet Coke. A Diet Coke that was in my fridge because she put it there so she could have a stash at my house. "Really, mom? Diet Coke? Really?" I asked. As she closed her eyes and took a sip she replied, "I can only do one thing at a time."

Then, a few days ago, as we barrelled down the road in my parent's RV, she sat down next to me at the table with a bag of chips and said, "I think I will have...three...cokes today. Yes. Three." When she was on her second can I said, "So that's two then?" "No. That's one and a half."

Stranglehold? What stranglehold?

8 comments:

Kjersti said...

"I can only do one thing at a time." That made me laugh so hard. I love your mom so much, Diet Coke addiction and all!

Mellanee said...

Hey, It's only Diet Coke! It could be worse. I could be addicted to Skittles and cigarettes or something.

Kaylynn said...

I knew there was a reason I liked your mom! Diet Coke and Law&Order: a perfect combination!

Martha Lee said...

I find it is more fun to drink a Diet Coke when I am with your mom and she is drinking one too. There is just something about it. It is fun.

Stacy said...

That is too funny. Nick's parents are the same way. Every morning Nick's mom drives to a gas station to get her Pepsi, and every morning they have it ready for her. Nick's dad loves Diet Coke. I've only seen him drink water once in our entire marriage.

Kimba said...

This was by far my highlight, her refreshment after her "hike" to the house. :) Man, we had some good times that week!

Diet Coke and Skittles...hmm...

The Kilpacks said...

I have to agree with Mel Mel, there is almost nothing better than a Diet Coke. Especially if it's from the fountain with my favorite ice. (Silly I know, but the ice to diet coke ratio need to be just right! and the small roundish ice is the best.The only place that has the right kind of ice is Taco Time.)

Abby said...

I love that ice too! I hear that Panda Express has it as well. Fountain sodas are always better than bottled.